Scalix is an Exchange alternative. It’s not as fully featured (and development seems to be at a standstill) but it is a lot cheaper than Microsoft’s offering. They even have a free community edition but that doesn’t offer Outlook or Exchange connectivity.
We had successfully managed to sync Scalix to Windows Mobile 6 devices as well as iPhones and I was hoping it would also work on WP7.
My first attempt failed and ,after reading that WP7 only uses a subset of ActiveSync functionality, I presumed it wasn’t possible. However, after struggling with IMAP, and not wanting to go near POP3, I managed to get ActiveSync up and running on my Omnia 7.
I can sync my calendar, contacts and email just like what is available with an “Outlook” (Exchange) account. You also get “push” email functionality and a nice “Live Tile” for your home screen (although not as cool as my attempt above). It doesn’t seem to sync if I flag an email but if I read or delete one then that change syncs.
Read on to get the walkthrough
Here’s what to do (bear in mind, you do need to have Scalix ActiveSync licenses enabled for each user that wants to use it)
- On your WP7 device go to Settings>System>Email & Accounts
- Click “add an account”
- Click “advanced setup”
- Type in email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type in password (same as webmail password)
- Press “next”
- Press Exchange ActiveSync
- Fill out as follows (replacing italics as appropriate)
- Email address & password should already be filled from step 4 & 5
- Username: thom
- Domain: Scalix ignores it but it must contain something to continue
- Server: webmail.corp.com
- Require SSL: Depends on how you have it set up. Tick if your webmail goes to a https:// address
- Account Name: Anything. Shows up on Live Tile and app list. TIP – Start it with “a” or a number if you want it at the top of the list
- The next 5 boxes are your own preference but that is where you can choose to sync Email, Contacts and/or Calendar
- Click the “sign in” box at the bottom and it will start it’s initial sync
It automatically pins a live tile to your Start screen, showing you a total of unread emails.
I have heard from others that the intitial sync doesn’t always work. However, the following options seem to sort the issue.
- Try a hard reset of the device (take the battery out) then try to re-sync
- Disable wi-fi & try over normal 3G (sometimes a corporate WLAN my mess up the connection)
Hope that helps some others out there.
To find out more about Scalix, check out scalix.com